Thursday 21 April 2011

Nightmare?

I was just about to fall asleep, did it happen too fast?
It was like seconds after I dozed off, I dreamt that my brother was holding FROGS in his hands, and he threw it to my direction!! I woke up flabbergasted, felt cold in the heart.
I told the story to my brother the next day, and he just smiled.
Maybe I ate too much NAM-NAM, the frog-like fruit.I mentioned it in facebook.
I dont think it's a dream, because it happened too fast...
Can REM phase(the stage when you dream) occurs so fast??normally it takes around 90 minutes to reach that state...

I remember in psychiatry I learned about the term hypnopompic and hynagogic hallucination.
In hypnagogic, eg. one can hear the bell rings or people calling one's name while falling asleep. In fact, it's just a vivid, dreamlike hallucination.
In hypnopompic hallucination, it occurs when one is waking up.
These are quite common.

Suddenly I feel eager to do some "research" on “鬼压身”,which I once experienced it during age of 14-15. At that time, I was awake, but my body just couldn't move. I trully heard noises surrounding me, but I couldnt comprehend it.
So, I googled it.
It is called "sleep paralysis", or 梦魇(眼)in Chinese, or "kena tindih" in Malay.
I was not really that afraid at that time, because I know it can be explained.
被鬼压 does not literally mean being "pressed by a ghost". In fact, it is an inability to perform voluntary movements when falling alseep or upon awakening, because the body is in REM phase, which is a deep sleep stage, whereby you cant move your body at this stage. But, somehow your mind remains aware.Once REM completed, you are fully awake and can move your body.
Of course, I've heard lots of ghost stories regarding this theme.
Like ppl who is having sleep paralysis, waking up to see one big fat guy sitting on his tummy, causing the paralysis...blah blah...eerie yet funny.
Haha.

No comments: