Saturday 25 October 2008

Interesting Patients

When I was in my 1st medicine posting at 7B&8B, I did encounter some funny patients.
They really cheered me up in the midst of boredom.
#Patient 1
This patient really impressed me. One day we noticed a Malay old man with hepatomegaly. Me, Siew Li and Chew Keat wanted to approach him. Chew Keat went and greeted him in Malay.

“Apa khabar Pak Cik….boleh tak kami periksa perut Pak Cik ….”

“可以可以。。。这边(in Hokkien)。”

To our surprise, he spoke Hokkien fluently to us. This was the 1st surprise he gave us.Oh my god, we guessed wrongly. Do not judge a book by its cover. Sometimes Chinese might look like Malay and vice versa. Don’t blame us. We tried not to express our astonishment, and continued to talk in Hokkien….

“这边痛吗?。。。”we asked.So we treated him as Chinese.

"一点痛咯。。。” (the exact conversation i ady forgotten)

After some time.....

“wa si hua na lang,bo si deng lang(我是马来人,不是华人)” He suddenly blurted out.

“哈,什么,我们以为你是华人,因为你福建说到很好!!”we said.

"wa si penang lang ma...Hokkien lang cheh..."( i m from penang, many hokkien ppl there)

"真的吗,别骗我们哦。。。”we said.(is it true,dont bluff us)

“是,我的名字叫Awang Bin xx,我有两位老婆,19个孩子。。。你看,他们都来了。”
Yes, i saw his wife with tudung and his children. So, he is a Malay. This was the 2nd surprise.

"我还会说很多语言,华语、潮州、印度话我都会讲,你可能都不会。” (i can speak multi language include Mandarin, Teo Chew, Tamil..you dont even know how to speak)

“是的,我不会。”we said.( yes, we dont know)
I thought he was just bluffing, so we continued to palpate his liver. He was in great pain. Yet he still allow us to palpate. He was a nice chap. We dare not palpate anymore.
After us, Chui Yee went to see him again. Before Chui yee left, the Pak Cik said something to her. She thought the uncle was conversing in Hokkien to her in a way that she didnt understand.She seeked help from me.So i went to him again.
To my surprise again, he spoke Tamil with me. I really didnt know what he meant but i think he was just showing off his ability, knowing that we would not understand at all...
I laughed out loud and answered him"AYA...ILEH ILEh..."
woah...impressed by his multi-language ability.

No comments: