Saturday 25 October 2008

End of Medicine Posting

This morning just finished my 1st ever short case test.
Suppose this exam was held on 23 Oct afternoon. We were prepared for everything and on that day and went to ward 8 with excitment, not because of the test, but because I could go home on that night. But what came out from Dr Edmund really killed me,"Today afternoon short case is cancelled. Postpone to tomorrow morning.I have to go back to UMMC because my colleague is on leave and there's shortage of haematologist."Immediately I replied,"Sorry Doctor, i need to finish the short case by today......"Before i was able to complete my sentence, he interrupted,"U guys are suppose to stay until Friday. No one is allowed to go home. You guys are mature enough to think about it."I just couldn't control myself.Got so irritated.What about my ticket, what about my promises to my mom...Luckily Michelle wanted to go back Kelantan and I sell her the ticket.We went to buy waffer and eat to ease my anger.
No mood to study the whole night thinking that my plan was ruined.
Only manage to study NK Chew on Chronic Renal Failure coz heard that many ppl got that case...Didn't put a lot of effort on Respiratory System since so many ppl got that system.I thought i would get weird case like rheumato or CRF.or GI case.
These morning I was the 2nd candidate. I was quite nervous. Usually i am not that nervous during exam. For me nervousness is nothing but a killer. But this time i failed to persuade myself as I heard too many horrible stories encountered during short case exam.No matter how hard you prepared, sometimes the Question asked is beyond your expectation. OR even you're well prepared, you lost your word and mind due to anxiousness.
I saw the 1st candidate Hanani came out from 8B after a long wait. OK,it's my turn now.Be cool and confidence.No tremors are allowed.Dr Edmund brought me to a an Indian elderly male in 8A. Shit,Dr Edmun brought us to see this patient before...what was the diagnosis???I couldnt recall. Is it a Lung CA??
"I want you to examine this patient respiratory system".Dr Edmund.
Ok.I proceed with my own pace. I heard that his patient isn't co-operative.but weird he let me to examine.I check his peripheral signs and encountered some problem when i checked his posterior lung.
there was decrease in chest expansion and dullness noted in the middle zone...but no crackles...wait, i think i heard something...unfortunately, the patient started to call the nurse:"i want my medicine...i want my medicine....it's it xx...with xx colour...faster...i want my medicine...blah blah blah........."i couldnt spend much time on this auscultation any more since the time was limited. I presented the case as if it was pointing to lung consolidation.But i was wrong when Edmund gave me a 2nd chance to listen to the lung....shit,there's expiratory rhonchi...how could i missed that...this patient has COPD.(Chronic Obstuctive Pulmonary Disease)
Definitely, you can predict what he would ask me. It's all written in NK chew but i couldn't vomit out all.
"How do u differentiate between asthma and COPD clinically?"
"Tell me more about COPD and how do u diagnose it?"
"What do u mean by diurnal variation?can u elaborate further?"
"What will a severe asthmatic patient shows?"
These were the questions i was asked.
I tried my best to answer.
At the end of the test, he turned to me and said," Ong, theory wise not that good ah...."then i got what he meant.
I dont feel sad, instead i m happy because it's over. Afterall it costs less then 1% to our 3rd year final exam.
Lucky i didnt get any weird case.
Michelle was famous with her Rheumatology case.Winnie got Gout(again Edmund likes to ask about DNA,genetics and Biochemistry stuffs.be prepared with uric acid metabolism) and Shaun got Chronic Renal Failure.Rong Xiang's definitely not Marcus-Gunn Pupil.Tough.
Yay~!it's over~~~

No comments: