Sunday 22 February 2009

Dysmenorrhoea=Period Pain


Shit...suffer from dysmenorrhoea(period pain) in the midnight.
It woke me up. I fought with it.
I refrain myself from taking pain killer.
Ppl said it's not good to take pain killer.
The shooting, crampy colicky pain is still there.
I could not sleep.
I kept moving.
I kept turning.
I could not sleep.
I felt hot.
I hit the pillow.
I pressed the pain.
I went to toilet.
Felt like abdominal cramping.
Felt like wanted to pass motion but actually not.
It's a deception.
The prevalence of dysmenorrhoea among reproductive-aged woman is 45-90%.
It's a leading cause of absenteeism among ladies in their workplace/school.
So i am not considered unlucky, am i?
One and half hour has passed.
I surrendered.
I took the PCM.

Sometimes. i do suffer from PMS-premenstrual syndrome.
PMS, is a group of symptoms that start one to two weeks before your period.
Most women have at least some symptoms of PMS, and the symptoms go away after their periods start.

Common PMS symptoms include

  • Breast swelling and tenderness-yes.good. add some cup.kidding.
  • Acne-yes, but mild
  • Anxiety-yes,causes difficulty in sleeping
  • Insomnia-what i am doing now?it's nearly 5 am.
  • Fatigue-Yes
  • Bloating and weight gain-weight gain yes
  • Pain - headache or joint pain-No!
  • Food cravings-Yes.Sweet stuffs.Biscuits.Chocolate.Unhealthy junk food.
  • Irritability, mood swings-Yes.Felt very down 2 days ago. I am sorry to my room mate. Thanks because u try to cheer me up. I am sorry.
  • Crying spells-Yes.2 days ago.Crying in the bathroom for no reasons. Crying during sleep. Maybe i was thinking of you my dear.
  • Depression-Nop. that is too serious.
In addition, I will have diarrhoea. the symptoms vary from ppl to ppl.
For your information, the risk factors for period pain include :

  • High caffeine intake-Yes. I take coffee to combat sleepiness. But will not exceed one cup per day and i dont take rich coffee.I will sleep a lot if I don't take.I cant stand if i dont sleep 8 hours per day. I know it is not good. So i will try to sleep more afterwards.
  • Stress may precipitate condition-Last week was exam.Yes.
  • Increasing age- I am getting OLDER.....
  • History of depression-No!
  • Tobacco use-No.
  • Family history-Mom and sis dont have...Yeen,do u have?
  • Dietary factor-low levels of Magnesium, Manganese, Vitamin E.-No, i took multivitamin from Amway. My body reservoir is enough for years.
My mother advised me to take Evening Primrose Oil(EPO).
I've been using it since secondary school.
It is used traditionally to cure period pain and breast tenderness.

It is very rich in polyunsaturated omega-6 fatty acids, which are necessary fatty acids that body needs to complete numerous functions including insulin absorption, regulating the heart, and regulating mood. The body does not manufacture these fatty acids on its own, so they have to be taken as food or food supplements. EPO has linoleic acid and gamma-linolenic acid (“GLA”). Both of these acids are very important and very beneficial to general well-being. Linoleic acid is thought to help the body make use of insulin, regulate weight, and prevent cancer and heart disease. GLA is thought to reduce swelling or irritation. Because of the high GLA content of evening primrose, it is recommended to help treat inflammatory ailments like asthma or arthritis. Many of the benefits of evening primrose have yet to be thoroughly studied. It has been known to improve acne, eczema, psoriasis, and other skin problems.

I took this article from a website, haha. Because i dont really know what other benefits it could give.I know that it is high in GLA and linoleneic acid because it is writtem on the bottle.
For your info,u need to take at least few months(3) to see its effect.
Side effect?Headache, indigestion, nausea,soft stools. Which I dont have, but i do believe things come in good and bad.

Hm, I hope I can sleep soundly after blogging.



1 comment:

彦霓::yen-nee said...

Sometimes the pain can be so serious and vomiting may present as well.

It depends on what type of pain killer you are taking.

Menstrual pain can be linked to hormonal changes as well, so it has to be treated by using medications that can help you in that way.

Then, you will benefit from the medicaion rather than taking a wrong medicine that does not help in treating the pain and give you free-of-charge side effects.

take care, stay healthy.

Don't worry, you have no need to recall who am I, I am just a stranger to you. =)

p/s: mefenamic acid @ ponstan can help.