Tuesday 8 September 2009

In The Lift

Yesterday. I stepped into the lift, going to 7E. Whole crowd of people followed.
An uncle glanced at my name tag and talked to his relative/ friend.Basically he was talking alone whereas his friend just smiled.Maybe he thought It's not good to criticize in front of ppl.
"I told my daughter, not to be a doctor." He said loudly, intentionally, as if i never listen.
"A doctor must be dedicated. Must give full commitment. So they have NO LIFE" He looked at me.
"A doctor must treat patient holistically.Not just the disease itself."This sentence is so familiar...Uncle also studies PCM ah...
"I told my daugther not to study medicine, if you think you're going to make money by becoming a doctor, you are WRONG!"
"Are you a doctor?"He said.
"No, medical student." I replied.
"Doctors must be very dedicated. So they have no life."

These were what he said to me during the 2 minutes in the lift.
I did not say a word. Just listened, nodded my head and gave him a smile.
In some points, he's very right. Undeniable. But, why did he say that to me?
I could see that he was cynical, to me, to doctor-to-be students, to the doctors.
I wonder whether that's the words he told her daughter after her daughter failed to gain an entrance to medical school?

Once, a sister in the operation theatre also told me, she strictly prohibit her daughter to become a doctor. She even restrained her daughter to study science stream, in order to kill her any will to embark in medical field. She has seen so many young doctors tortured during their housemanships. She does not want her daughter to suffer.
I understand her purpose. And she's right.

The man was right. After i started my medical school, sometimes, sometimes I think that I don't have life. (But actually i have, i believe i still have). I don't have freedom. I am going to sink. What the helluva EXAMS...(anywhere. any course, when there is exam, there's no life)

Shouldn't the society be more encouraging to us?
Maybe i m not strong enough.
Just take it as motivation...



5 comments:

jeng yi said...

As long as you enjoy ur work and ur studies, i think that is life..

Not only dedicated, i think a person need to have a great passion in order to be a good doctor..

I believe you enjoy your life as a medical student so far. :)

Gambateh!

Alpha Tango Six Niner said...

well, this is the 1st time i heard of people criticizing medical proffesion..i heard a lot of critics on armed forces professions and police

anyway, i don't see anything wrong being a doctor. those who said that being a doctor have no life coz of have to give full commitment for job on treating patients are selfish.

cannot make money with medical proffesion? this tye of person clearly prefer to work for money rather than do something they don't like, wasting their life just to make moey..certainly this people DON'T HAVE LIFE AT ALL..

life is not all about work for money at all and money should not be the only motivating factor for u to carry out ur duty and give the best performance. it's passion and commitment for ur duty n satisfaction that make u give all ur best for ur job.

Don't let other people to demotivate u, It was ur choice to study medicine in the 1st place. It's a great vocation. anyway serving for mankind and serving for nation is the most noble things to do...

y_y said...

Uncle tu meme cynical.
Heyhey, doctor is a respected profession, just like architect ne. WAaaahahaha.

kyky said...

how about engineer???
XD

eLLe said...

Hey, I do not deny the right of the uncle to comment, and he's right in a way...dedicated doctors loose their freedom to live a free life... because they care, of these ill peole like the UNCLE who commented on you, why he came to hospital? mostly because he's sick!

He may discuss this issue with anyone, because it carries sense of logic in it. BUt, he should not restraint his daughter's wish. Same to the nurse. On the other hand, I had the same feeling as you, maybe he spoke that because her daughter failed to gain entries to medical school. Or maybe himself had that experience. who knows?

For every profession, once a person is dedicated, personal life will somehow be affected. But it is up to us, to balance it up. I believe if we're dedicated to set up a family in the future, We will hv our LIFE.

He's not a doctor, he do not know that. There are a lot of doctors living a happy family life out there, although there will be some who had broken family as well. Same thing happen to other professionals too.