Saturday 28 May 2011

Sunscreens~


Today I learn some facts about sunscreen. I seldom put them on my face, as it makes my skin oily, unless I am playing outdoor activities whereby I will let the sun kisses my skin. But it is interesting to know and some more being mid 20s is an awkward age...The skin condition is at its peak and it is going to deteriorate afterwards if we don't take good care!
Thanks to The Star,educated me regarding this topic.

I know there are UVA and UVB, but I do not know the fact that UVA penetrates deeper into our skin and causes damage to the DNA in our cell.UVA is also the culprit behind wrinkling and photoageing. Whereas, UVB causes sun burn.

SPF, which is the key words that most of us concern about when purchasing a sun block, is used to shield UVB, to prevent sun burn. It does not give the protection towards UVA.
The higher the SPF number, means the longer you can stay under the sun without getting sun burn. It does not offer higher protection.

Before this, I thought SPF could shield both UVA and UVB
It turns out that the "PA+" is the one that shields the UVA.
"PA" stands for Protection Grade of UVA.
PA+ is sufficient for most activities but if you intend to stay longer under the sun, opt for higher PA like PA+++.
The presence of certain compounds like:zinc oxide, titanium dIoxide,avobenzone in the sunscreen help to deflect the UVA.

And so I dig out all the sunscreens that I have. Found few bottles, as I will never able to finish them...
Sunplay sunscreen, SPF130 PA++, by far, the highest SPF that you can find in the market. Water resistant, liquid base and non sticky. Small amount for great surface area. Really non-sticky. Easily portable as its size is small...

Bought this from Krabi, Thailand. Cant find this in M'sia. The latest sun block from Nivea. Suitable for sea& beach activities. SPF50 PA++, with immediate COLLAGEN and DNA protection! This is really new. Water resistant and claims non-sticky(which i still find it a bit sticky). Good thing about this product is you don't have to apply 20mins prior to outdoor activity, its effect is immediate~and when I wash it off, my skin feel soft and supple~this may be attributed to the collagen in it. Bad thing: need great amount to cover the body compared to liquid base Sunplay product.+sticky~

Banana Boat Sport, SPF 50, UVA&UVB protection, sweat resistant, water resistant, fragrance free and non-greasy. No PA written on it. But the ingredients include oxybenzone, can be used to shield UVA. Still find it a bit greasy...



Nano White Omega Day Shield, sunscreen for the face, with SPF50. The sign "++" is confusing. Does it imply SPF50++ which means SPF more than 50,(which is actually more than adequate for face!) of contains PA++? I dont feel greasy or oily with this product. It can be used as moisturiser as well.


At last, how much of sunshine is sufficient for us to prevent Vitamin D deficiency??

The answer is 5-30 minutes of sun exposure for 2 times a week!
So say no to more than that~~

No comments: